#RawAfterMania was running wild last Monday, or should I say #BeachBallMania was running wild? Either way, the show did not disappoint, and one of the highlights — Vince McMahon announcing a “Superstar Shakeup.”
What does it mean? The details have not been made very clear. But what is clear — roster changes are coming.
Monday Night Raw is live from Uniondale, New York on April 10th. So… WHO… WHO… Who will be on the move?
- A.J. Styles. This seems like the obvious move. It has been long-rumored, and seems to be a done deal. Styles is “the face that runs the place” on the blue brand, and would have an immediate impact on Raw. After losing the title in a MOTY candidate at Royal Rumble, Styles was put in a program with Shane McMahon for Wrestlemania. Now that we are “finished” with that feud, A.J. is not tied into any storyline, so the transition would be seamless. Putting the Phenomenal One back on Raw also opens up the chance to team him up with The Club (Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson) once again. As far as a title shot, it looks like Roman Reigns and Bruan Strowman are occupying that slot right now, so that wishful thinking would have to wait.
- Sami Zayn. He is talented and over with the crowd, but for as long as he is on Raw, it seems Sami Zayn will always be in Kevin Owens’ shadow. Sami constantly puts on solid to great matches, but never seems to get any sort of push. With Finn Balor returning, Owens holding the U.S. title, Somoa Joe running train and Styles possibly coming over, it only feels like Zayn, who could stack up with any of those wrestlers, will be buried. A change of scenery could be a game changer and Zayn could slide into the IC title picture instantly.
- Dean Ambrose. Speaking of the IC title — I get the feeling it’s only a matter of time until Ambrose drops the strap. Ambrose was Smackdown’s top pick, but with Baron Corbin getting a strong push, the debut of Shinsuke Nakamura and Tye Dillinger, the great work by Miz, and Dolph Ziggler quietly becoming a strong heel again, moving Ambrose to the red brand could shake things up greatly. And let’s be honest, we all want that Shield reunion to happen.
- Seth Rollins. The other side of this argument is moving Seth Rollins to Smackdown. It is another move rumored to be happening. As I just previously mentioned, Nakamura and Dillinger recently helped bolster the blue roster, but many people often point out how thin the roster is. Seth would be a great addition who could jump into the world title picture with Orton and Wyatt (Assuming Styles is moved).
- Cesaro & Sheamus. A few weeks ago I would’ve pushed for the two to split up, and have Cesaro moved to Smackdown as a singles competitor who could jump into the IC title rankings. But, after Mania and the Raw following it, it seems these two are truly starting to find a connection with the crowd. They are number one contenders for the tag team championships, and right now, The Usos do not really have any competition. After they beat American Alpha, it seems Alpha has fallen off the face of the earth. I think they will be back in the title picture, but Smackdown is in desperate need of a true baby face tag team. The Celtic Warrior and Swiss Superman would make an excellent fit.
- Rusev. I absolutely love Rusev and believe he is a great in-ring worker. I know I’m not alone. With his current injury keeping him off television, this is the perfect chance to bring him back as “Handsome Rusev.” Corey Graves had been teasing it during Rusev’s final matches before injury. A new character on a new show would be great for both Smackdown and Rusev. He lost all momentum after losing to Reigns at Hell in a Cell. I believe Raw would be fine without him, and Smackdown would love to have him.
- The Miz. Let me preface this by saying I hope it doesn’t, but I do see this happening. He was arguably one of the company’s MVP’s for 2016 and early 2017. The Miz has become a top heel and his work on the mic has been some of the best in the business. Following his recent feud with John Cena, the crowd has gotten behind the Miz, making him somewhat of a tweener. If there is anyone deserving of a Universal Title shot, it is The Miz. I don’t feel like Brock Lesnar is the right opponent, but he could easily draw some of the loudest reactions if he started cutting promos on Roman Reigns like he did on Cena.
This are seven moves I could see happening this Monday. We might not see any, but one thing is for sure… It’s a great time to be a wrestling fan.